The only hyperbaric oxygen chambers available in the Illinois Valley
Time, it’s said, heals all wounds. Maybe that’s true in matters of the heart. But physical wounds sometimes need extra help. That’s why we are proud to offer health services at our St. Margaret’s Wound and Hyperbaric Center, where we use the most up-to-date approaches and scientific advances available to heal chronic and slow-healing wounds.
Poor blood flow, diabetes, nerve damage, suppressed immune systems, or other vascular problems can all affect the healing process and put you at risk for a chronic wound.
What is hyperbaric medicine? How can it help me?
Long used to help deep-sea divers recover from the bends, hyperbaric oxygen chambers have also been found to rapidly accelerate the healing rate of wounds.
During this treatment, patients breathe 100 percent pure oxygen inside the pressurized chamber for short periods of time. In addition to the obvious benefit of healing the wound faster, this treatment option is also highly effective in fighting certain infections, stimulating the growth of new blood vessels and improving circulation.
How we help heal chronic and non-healing wounds
Our specially-trained physicians, nurses and technologists work with your doctor to tailor a treatment plan for you. Here are some of the treatments you can expect to find from the Wound and Hyperbaric Center:
- Wound consultation and evaluation
- Wound debridement
- Treatment of wound, skin, and bone infection
- Specialty wound dressings
- Pressure off-loading devices
- Bio-engineered skin grafts, skin substitutes
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBO)
Common wounds that benefit from advanced wound care
The Wound and Hyperbaric Center provides state-of-the-art treatment for a wide range of wound types including:
- Diabetic foot wounds
- Peripheral arterial insufficiency wounds
- Radiation injuries
- Crush injuries
- Preservation of compromised skin grafts
- Thermal burns
Outpatient treatment for vascular disease of the vein including:
- Screening for venous reflux, a medical condition affecting circulation of the blood in your body’s lower extremities
- Endovascular laser treatment, an ultrasound-guided technique for treating symptomatic varicose veins
- Duplex ultrasound, a non-invasive evaluation of blood flow through your arteries and veins.
Wound Center Facts
- The wound center has two hyperbaric chambers to provide hyperbaric oxygen therapy and four exam rooms for conventional wound treatment.
- Most health insurance plans will pay for wound center treatments.
- You don’t need a physician referral to make a wound center appointment.
Ask your doctor for a referral to receive these proven treatment methods.