About St. Margaret’s

About St. Margaret’s Health – Spring Valley

St. Margaret’s Health and St. Margaret’s Hospital, a 44-licensed bed facility, was founded in November of 1903 by seven sisters from the Sisters of Mary of the Presentation, a group of nuns expelled from France by an anti-religious government.

At the turn of the century, Spring Valley was a large coal mining camp with a population of 6,214 people. Laws governing the protection of miners were few, and accidents and deaths were frequent.

The area’s great need for a hospital facility was recognized by the Rev. John Power, pastor of the Immaculate Conception Church. He appealed to the Sisters of Mary of the Presentation to staff the new hospital. Twenty-five acres of land and a two-story frame house were donated by Father Power, and so it began.

When the first seven sisters arrived in November, 1903, they were practically without funds, and only a few of them spoke English. The little hospital was nearly unfurnished and contained only a five-bed ward and one private room. The building was illuminated by kerosene lamps and heated with coal stoves. The success of the new venture seemed doubtful. However, from this humble beginning, St. Margaret’s Health has grown to become the community care center that we know today.

In fact, St. Margaret’s continues to expand and grow to better serve the community’s changing health needs. As of January 1, 2021, St. Margaret’s Hospital in Spring Valley and Illinois Valley Community Hospital (IVCH) in Peru have finalized arrangements to consolidate their healthcare operations to form a regional health network. Thus, St. Margaret’s Hospital is now renamed St. Margaret’s Health – Spring Valley. 

About St. Margaret’s Health – Peru

People’s Hospital in Peru opened in 1914 and became Illinois Valley Community Hospital in 1976 when it merged with St. Mary’s Hospital in LaSalle.  The St. Mary’s building—which was located where the Illinois Veterans’ Home now stands—was closed following the merger. Expansion of the People’s campus began immediately and culminated with the opening of an 80-bed addition in 1979.  Moving forward, further expansions included:

  • Building a parking garage and adding a second floor to the West Street office building and then connecting it to the hospital with a skybridge in 1994.
  • Opening the Women’s Health Care Center in 2000.
  • Again adding to the main hospital building in 2003 with the opening of the East Addition, which included an expanded emergency department and a new surgical unit.
  • Opening the Center for Physical Rehabilitation and Aquatics next to the Illinois Valley Y in Peru in 2006.
  • Opening a new obstetrics unit and a new intensive care unit in 2011 by adding a third floor to the East Addition.
  • Opening a Wound and Hyperbaric Center in 2013.

The Hygienic Institute in LaSalle, which, like IVCH, opened in 1914, became part of the Peru hospital in 1996.

As mentioned earlier, on January 1, 2021, St. Margaret’s Hospital and IVCH finalized arrangements to consolidate their healthcare operations to form a regional health network. Just as St. Margaret’s Hospital was renamed St. Margaret’s Health – Spring Valley, Illinois Valley Community Hospital is now renamed St. Margaret’s Health – Peru.